Audi Type K
|1922 to 1925|
|Also called||Audi 14 / 50|
|Engine||3,560 cc straight-4|
|Wheelbase||3,530 mm (139 in)|
The Audi Type K was a car introduced by Audi at the Berlin Motor Show in September 1921. Since the end of the war Audi had till now produced only cars of pre-war design, so that the Type K was the first post-war Audi design to be offered. The Type K entered production in 1922 and was withdrawn in 1925, by which time the company had commenced production, in 1924, their Type M model which can be seen as a larger replacement for the Type K. The Audi Type K was the first volume produced car in Germany to feature left-hand drive.
In retrospect the car has been seen as one of the most technically advanced cars of its time. It had a four-cylinder in-line engine with 3.6 litres of displacement, incorporating an aluminium cylinder head with replaceable cylinder liners (eingepressten Laufbuchsen). It developed a maximum of 50 PS (37 kW; 49 hp) at 2200 rpm, which was transmitted to the rear wheels, using a four-speed transmission. Claimed top speed was 95 km/h (59 mph).
The car had two leaf-sprung solid axles. It was available as a four-seat touring car, four-door sedan or as a two-door coupé-cabriolet. An overall 192 were produced according to one source: another gives the production volume as "not more than approx 750".
|Engine||4 Cylinder, 4 Stroke|
|Bore x Stroke||90 mm (3.5 in) x 140 mm (5.5 in)|
|Power||50 PS (37 kW; 49 hp)|
|Top Speed||95 km/h (59 mph)|
|Empty Weight||1,400 kg (3,100 lb) (Chassis)|
|Wheelbase||3,530 mm (139.0 in)|
|Track Front/Rear||1,450 mm (57.1 in)/1,450 mm (57.1 in)|