Audi 100 C2 Second Generation
|Also called||Audi 5E (Australia)|
|Production||1976–1982 988,581 100 4-door: 887,647 Avant: 49,652 200: 51,282|
|Assembly||Neckarsulm, Ingolstadt, Germany Uitenhage, South Africa Lagos, Nigeria|
|Body style||4-door saloon/sedan 5-door hatchback 2-door saloon|
|Layout||Front engine, front-wheel drive|
|Platform||Volkswagen Group C2 platform|
1.6 L & 2.0 L I4 1.9 L & 2.1 L I5 (non-turbo and turbo)2.0 L I5 diesel & turbo diesel
|Transmission||3-speed automatic 5-speed manual|
|Wheelbase||105.39 in (2,677 mm)|
|Length||184.25 in (4,680 mm)|
|Width||69.61 in (1,768 mm)|
|Height||54.84 in (1,393 mm)|
|Curb weight||2,532 lb (1,148 kg)|
The Audi 100 restyled C2 Audi 100 was launched in 1976, with an in-line five-cylinder engine. It was initially a 100 PS (74 kW) engine offering "six-cylinder power and four-cylinder economy", and later upgraded to 136 PS (100 kW).
The Coupé was discontinued, but a five-door hatchback model, the 100 Avant, was launched in August 1977 as part of this generation. The mainstay of the range remained the four-door sedan model. A two-door sedan version was offered, primarily on the domestic market, from February 1977, but by now there was little demand, even in Germany, for large two-door sedans: few of these two-door Audi 100 C2s were sold.
At the end of September 1977, the Audi 100 became the manufacturer's first model to reach a production level of 1,000,000 units. The millionth Audi 100 was a hatchback Audi 100 Avant assembled not at the company's main Ingolstadt plant but to the west, at the Neckarsulm factory which, since the demise of the mainstream volume models from the NSU range, had been concentrating on providing additional production capacity for the fast selling Audi range.
Engines available included:
- 1.6 L I-4, 85 PS (63 kW; 84 hp), carburetted (1976−1982)
- 2.0 L I-4, 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp), carburetted (1976−1978)
- 1.9 L I-5, 100 PS (74 kW; 99 hp), carburetted (1980−1982)
- 2.1 L I-5, 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp), carburetted (1978−1982)
- 2.1 L I-5, 136 PS (100 kW; 134 hp), fuel injection (1976−1982) (100 and 200)
- 2.1 L I-5, 170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp), fuel injection, turbo (1979−1982) (200 only)
- 2.0 L I-5 Diesel, 70 PS (51 kW; 69 hp), (1978−1982)
- 2.1 L I-5, 103 hp (77 kW; 104 PS), fuel injection (MY 1978−1983)
- 2.1 L I-5, 130 hp (97 kW; 132 PS), fuel injection, turbo (MY 1980−1983)
- 2.0 L I-5 Diesel, 67 hp (50 kW; 68 PS) (MY 1980−1983)
- 2.0 L I-5 Turbodiesel, 84 hp (63 kW; 85 PS) (MY 1983)
About 850.000 Audi 100/200 C2 were built, of which 133.512 were sold in the USA.
Right Hand Drive Audi 200 5E and 5T (type 43)
The RHD Audi 200 5E and 5T were introduced into the UK in 1979, only 500 were imported. The 5T (170 PS) was a higher spec Turbo version of the 5E (136 PS injection) and came with many optional extras as standard. As an attempt to lure British buyers the UK version of the 5T had opening quarter lights, electric wing mirrors, a sun roof, cruise control and heated seats. All Type 43 200's came with Automatic gearboxes, a five-speed manual was special order only.