|1953 to 1954|
|Assembly||Clapham, SW London|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door 3-wheel saloon|
|Engine||8bhp Villiers two-cylinder 346cc|
Allard, better known for light sports cars produced a pilot run of around twenty glass-fibre bodied three-wheeled Clipper microcars in 1953-1954. They had a rear mounted Villiers 24B 346cc single-cylinder two-stroke motorbike engine driving the rear left wheel via a Burman gearbox and chain.
The car was designed by David Gottlieb and was advertised as having an 'indestructible' plastic body made by Hordern-Richmond Ltd. It was the first ever car to have a plastic body. and seated three adults on a bench seat and two children in optional 'dickey seats' revealed when the rear boot was opened.For its time, the Clipper was very sophisticated. Its light weight body and small engine made it one of the most economical cars of its time. The research and development conducted by Allard Motor Cars has provided the world with key information regarding economical engines. However, cooling difficulties and driveshaft weakness made the Clipper very unreliable and the project was not continued - as of 2001 there were only three survivors