AEC command vehicle
The AEC command vehicle was a 1941 in the service of the British Army used armored command vehicle for the guidance and coordination of the tank crew in the field and combat , the British bus and commercial vehicle manufacturer Associated Equipment Company .
The Armoured Command Vehicles were designated as HP (High Power) or LP (Low Power) vehicles according to the type of radios carried. Radio masts were strapped on the outside and the vehicle had side entrances for the driver and commander, and rear doors for the radio operators and HQ staff who were housed in separate compartments.
The Mk I was followed by the Mk Il with short bows and a frame on the-roof to take a tarpaulin cover over the less critical HQ equipment like tables and chairs. Some 151 AEC Armoured Command Vehicles were built between 1944 and 1945.The AEC 6 x 6 chassis was also used for wheeled flamethrowers.
The tests with tanks as command vehicles for the armored force, brought because of the unresolved space problem rather unsatisfactory results. One of the first armored command vehicles of the British Army, was the Guy Lizard manufactured by Guy Motors in 1940 . The AEC, based on the chassis of the AEC Matador , was significantly larger in size than the Guy Lizard and had the nickname Dorchester , after a well-known luxury hotel in London. It is the all-wheel drive spacious two-axle vehicle as armored bus, based on a truck chassis describe. There was in the versions AEC HP ( High Power) and AEC LP ( Low Power ). In the different versions a total of 415 units of the vehicle were produced.Interestingly, two captured vehicles from Erwin Rommel and his staff were used as command vehicles during the Africa campaign . They were referred to as "Max" and "Moritz".
- Armament: None
- Armour:9mm (0.35in) max
- Length 7.949m (26t 3in);
- Width 2.413m tin)
- Height 2.69m (8ft 3in)
- Weight: 18,289kg (18 tons)
- Powerplant: AEC Model A1986-cylinder diesel
- Engine power: 111.8kW (150bhp) at 1900rpm
- Speed: 48.5km/h (30mph)