AEC Crossley Bridgemaster Bus
|Body and chassis|
|Wheelbase||16ft 6in to 18ft 4in|
|Length||27ft 8in to 30ft|
AEC Crossley Bridgemaster Introduced in 1956 as the Crossley Bridgemaster, this integral double-decker, built in conjunction with Park Royal Vehicles Ltd was originally built as a 27ft 8in long vehicle, with a wheelbase of 16ft 6in.
Although of low height design it featured a centre upper deck gangway. At first it was powered by an AEC A470 type engine of 7.685 litres capacity, but later in 1956 this was replaced by a larger 9.636 litre unit.
Transmission was via a 4-speed synchromesh gearbox and single plate clutch to an offset bevel double reduction rear axle, whilst the brakes were of the air pressure type, hydraulically operated. Coil springs were fitted at the front, with full air suspension at the rear.
Only a handful were built under the Crossley name, the AEC name taking over after the first few months of production. In 1957 a longer wheelbase model of 18ft 10in was introduced to allow 30ft long bodywork to be fitted, and a third version, with 18ft 4in wheelbase made its appearance in 1960, enabling 30ft bodywork with front entrance to be used. All three versions of the Bridgemaster remained in production until 1963, when they were replaced by the AEC Renown.