AEC Q Bus
|Body and chassis|
|Engine||6-cylinder petrol 7.4 litres to diesel 7.7 litre|
AEC Q Bus
Being of a revolutionary design, with its engine mounted vertically behind the offside front wheel, the AEC Q made its first public appearance in September 1932. Single rear tyres were fitted in order to keep the transmission line from the side engine as straight as possible, and in order to reduce the load on the rear axle, this was moved rearwards towards the end of the chassis.This allowed the driver's cab to be located on the front overhang with the entrance opposite, even though some body builders didn't use this facility and had a centre entrance. Its modern full-frontal design made it look very similar to buses built later in the 1950s and 1960s. A choice of engines was available, these being either a 6-cylinder 7.4 litre petrol engine or the Al 70 model 7.7 litre indirect injection oil engine whilst fluid flywheel and pre-selector gearbox were standard.
The Q was given model number 762 (0762 if fitted with an oil engine), and 319 were built before production ended in 1938. In addition to these, 23 double-deck Q type chassis were built, the first making its debut in These were given model numbers 761 and 0761, and one 6-wheel double-decker model 0763 was also produced in 1936.
1934 Double-deck Q type bus