AEC Regent 1 Bus
|1929 to 1942|
|Body and chassis|
|Layout||Longitudinal front engine,
rear-wheel drive (2x4)
|Engine||6-cylinder petrol 6.1 litres to 8.8 litre|
The Regent first made its appearance in the autumn of 1929, bearing model number 661. It had a wheelbase of 15ft 6 1/2in and was fitted with a new design of AEC 6-cylinder petrol engine of 6.1 litres capacity. Single servo mechanically operated brakes were fitted, whilst the gearbox was of the 4-speed sliding mesh type. In 1931 an alternative engine was offered, this being an AEC 8.8 litre 6-cylinder oil engine.
1931 also brought a change in the wheelbase of the Regent, this being increased to 16ft 3in thus allowing bodywork of 26ft length to be fitted. 1932 gave further options in the form of a fluid flywheel and pre selector gearbox, and vacuum hydraulic brakes. The latter were fitted as standard during the following year. This same period of time saw the introduction of a third alternative engine, this being a 6-cylinder 7.7 litre AEC oil unit, and in the following: year, a smaller capacity 6.6 litre 6-cylinder oil unit. In addition 'to these, Gardner 5LW and 6LW engines were also listed as being avai!able, although few operators specified them. Thus the Regent was offered with a choice of six alternative engines from which to choose, giving customers a wide range to suit their own individual need.
Although production ceased towards the end of 1940, 92 chassis were completed in 1942, bringing the total mark 1 Regents produced to over 7 ,200.